Rotterdam, New York
Rotterdam, NY

Town Council

Town Supervisor
Harry C. Buffardi

Deputy Supervisor
Wayne Calder

Council Member
Mike Viscusi

Council Member
Rick Larmour

Council Member
Joseph Villano

Operation SAFE CHILD

Is Your Dog Lost?
Lost dogs are taken to
The Montgomery County SPCA

for shelter by Rotterdam's Animal Control.

The Montgomery County SPCA
PO Box 484
1007 Route 5-S
Amsterdam, N.Y. 12010
(518) 842-8050
Email Us!

History of Rotterdam, NY

Rotterdam, NY - Town HallThe area that is now the town of Rotterdam, New York was first settled predominately by the Dutch, about the year 1661. The town, named after the city of Rotterdam, The Netherlands, was formed from a ward of the city of Schenectady on April 14, 1820.

The fertile soil along the Mohawk River was responsible for a thriving broom corn industry during the mid-1800’s. With the advent of the Erie Canal in 1825 and later, with the coming of railroads to Rotterdam, hamlets began to spring up, including Rotterdam Junction, South Schenectady, and Pattersonville. Rotterdam was an important part of the Northeast’s railroad system. The Erie Canal traversed the entire length of northeast Rotterdam, with two locks located in the town. Athens Junction and Mohawkville were quiet, pleasant settlements in the southeastern part of town.

Rotterdam, a thriving suburban community, began as a frontier town, and now boasts hundreds of agricultural, industrial, and commercial businesses. The population has grown from 1,529 in 1820 to more than 28,000.

Established as a first class town in 1942, Rotterdam has since adopted the seal of the Old World Rotterdam, along with its motto, "Stronger Through Effort." Through diligent application of this motto, Rotterdam looks confidently to the future.

Mabie Homestead

Mabie homestead in Rotterdam JunctionThe oldest house in the Mohawk Valley, the Jan Mabie homestead in Rotterdam Junction. This famous house is over 300 years old. Information on this historic house can be found here.

Two-Mile House

Two-Mile HouseThis photo shows the famed Two-Mile House on River and Campbell Roads before it burned down in 1988.